Monday, July 16, 2012

Day 15 - Miscellaneous Sunday

Galego word of the day: Obradoiro - workshop

So after five full days of class from 9:30am until 5:30pm (granted with a two hour lunch break!), and a Saturday day trip from 8:30am until 10:30pm, I wasn’t going anywhere on Sunday. Or so I thought…

The plan was to take it easy. I didn’t want to spend another day on a bus or a train, so I decided to stay around Santiago and just relax. My friend Alina and I decided to meet in the Praza do Obradoiro at 11am. That way we could sleep in and just have a slow start to the day. That meant I needed to wake up by 10am. I woke up at 8:30. But if you ask my youngest brother, that is sleeping in plenty!




We started our day with a visit to the Cathedral Museum which was actually quite interesting. The four story museum includes an archeological display, relics from the cathedral’s history, the “Botafumeiro” – a large incense burner which is operated by eight priests, and a large assortment of tapestries. It is also possible to visit the cloisters – one of the only places where you can take pictures, as well as the balcony which overlooks the Praza do Obradoiro.




We continued with multiple stops at tapas bars as well as a walk around the city and stops in two different parks. In the Alameda, one of the larger parks in the city and very popular for a Sunday stroll, we found a playground for grownups. Sort of. It was a section of the park which contained multiple exercise machine style contraptions. Which of course I had to try out!








Many hours later, we returned to the Alameda and ended our day by watching a street performance. There were buskers performing juggling routines and acrobatic tricks. It was just a bit of icing on the cake of a hodgepodge day. It may not have been as relaxing as I had originally thought, but it was a lot of fun. And hopefully all that walking burned off some of that Tarta de Santiago I’ve been eating all week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment