Thursday, July 12, 2012

Day 12 - Weather

Terraza - Bar
So, many of you are reading from the east coast of the United States where I know it has been in the 90s for a couple of weeks, but I have to tell you about the weather here. As you may know from looking at a map, Spain is not a tropical country. However, it is summer here in the northern hemisphere and you would expect it to be relatively warm.

As a matter of fact, certain parts of Spain can reach temperatures in the high 90s (high 30s Celsius) this time of year. However, the area of Spain where I am studying right now is not that area. Average temperatures for Galicia and Santiago de Compostela in particular are around 70 degrees. We have not hit that temperture more than one day since I have been here. I don't think I packed enough sweaters!

No seriously. It's been pretty cold here. When I went to pack my jacket on June 30th (90 something degrees in NYC), Shawn laughed and asked if I was sure it was necessary. I said, no, but that it couldn't hurt to play it safe. I packed it figuring I might use it once or twice at best. Well, I've had to use it quite a few times. That, along with my Brooklyn hoodie sweatshirt and long pants have been my staples over the last two weeks. The shorts, skirts and t-shirts are getting dusty!

Alina, Marina, Anastasia, Me
Today, while I was waiting for a friend to walk to class, the guy from the cafe downstairs came outside and told me it was going to be hot today. I'm not sure what his idea of hot is, but if this is it, I would have to disagree with him! It might be 68 out now. Who knows, we may get to 70 later today!

Anyway, it is sunny today... well, mostly, so maybe that's what he was refering to. It is a beautiful city when it's sunny that's for sure. The old architecture really stands out against the blue sky, and the green hills and red roofs make the white buildings look a little bit brighter. It's not that there's anything wrong with a cloudy or rainy day, but when it's beautiful like this, you can't complain, even if it is only 68 degrees!


Heading back to my apartment


No comments:

Post a Comment