Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Day 11 - Miners reach Madrid

I'm not sure how many of you are aware of the situation in Spain. Financially, they are dealing with some very difficult stuff right now.Various cuts are being proposed including one which would cut miner's subsidies by 63%. Miners are protesting these cuts and have asked to negotiate with government officials regarding this situation and to be granted what was promised last year be respected. So far they have not been granted either of these things. Over the past 3 weeks they many miners have been marching their way to the country's capital to protest these cuts. I am going to attach a few links about the situation for your reading pleasure... or at least for general knowledge.

El Pais
Euronews
Ground Report

To be perfectly honest, this was not something that I was very aware of prior to my arrival in Spain which is why I thought it would be good to mention. So often, in the United States, we can go unaware of many things occurring around the world. There are so many things that it can be difficult sometimes to keep up with all of them. Since I am here and am more aware of the goings on in this country, I thought I would take the opportunity to share at least one of them.

Use my links to find out some basic information about the situation, but do not hesitate to find your own sources... we all know Google brings us each different results! It is important to be aware of the world around us, whether in our own country or in others. I'm sure there are many people in our country who can relate with the miners here in Spain, and unfortunately many of them are not aware of those who they have so much in common with around the world. Spain, just like Greece, and even the United States, is suffering from a financial crisis. We really aren't all that different!

No comments:

Post a Comment